Monday, May 22, 2023

Senator Daniel Webster to George Ticknor, March 17, 1850

Washington, March 17, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR,—Yours of the 13th came along yesterday. I have wished very much to go home this month, but it looks now as if I should hardly accomplish that purpose, as I cannot leave till I vote on the California bill, and that may not be for a fortnight. Then I must be here on the first day of April, on account of business in court. So that if you and Anna present yourselves here the first week in April, or thereabouts, you will find me here. My impression is, that I shall not get away to the North until about the middle of that month. We shall be most happy to see you whenever you may come.

My poor speech is launched forth, and is a good deal tossed upon the waves. I am happy that Mrs. Ticknor's good wishes attend it. There is one comfort, and that is, that if its fate should be to go to the bottom, it has no cargo of value, and only one passenger to be drowned. As soon as the printer gets out a readable edition, I will send Mrs. Ticknor a copy. Meanwhile, give our love to her and Anna, and "Lizzy."

Yours,
D. WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 358-9

No comments: