Monday, May 22, 2023

Senator Daniel Webster to Porter Wright, February 17, 1850

Washington, February 17, 1850.

Porter Wright,—You seem to have done pretty well about ice, and I hope you will fill up both houses. It would be well if we could get some rather thicker than you have got; but do not wait too long. You seem to have done quite well also on Fletcher's road.

You may kill the old Alderney bull whenever you please. I wish you could sell some of the oxen for fair prices. I fear you will have to buy hay.

I expect to go home rather early in March, if we get through the California business, and decide whether she is to come in as a State. And I never shall come back till I settle up every single Marshfield account. Those accounts I know nothing, or very little about, and they must not remain any longer, without my knowing all about them.

If you need help in getting them together, get somebody to assist you. But you can do it very well.

I do not care about particular forms, but I want to know every debt exactly, and see how it is made up.

This business shall be done hereafter every year, as long as I live. Let us set out this year, on the 1st day of April, with a set of new books.

Can you do nothing with Greyback?

Yours,
D. W.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 355-6

No comments: