Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Senator Daniel Webster to Daniel Fletcher Webster, March 28, 1850

Washington, March 31, 1850.        
Sunday, two o'clock.

MY DEAR SON,—Mr. Calhoun died this morning at seven o'clock. It is remarkable, that his body servant, who has waited upon him for thirty years, died also last night.

Mr. Calhoun was just about my own age, born in the same year. I found him a prominent member of the House of Representatives when I first took a seat in that body, in May, 1813, the year of your birth.

The Secretary of the Senate has come to signify Mr. Benton's wish that I should say something in the Senate to-morrow, which I shall try to do.

I have your letter of Friday, which Mr. Curtis likes very much. He is anxious to know, a great deal more than I am, how things move in your quarter.

The "speech" continues in demand. One hundred and twenty thousand have gone off. I am sending a handsome copy to each member of the legislature, and shall send the speech also pretty generally to the clergy of Massachusetts. But the great mass throughout the State ought to be supplied freely.

I am pretty well, though a little rheumatic.

Yours,
D. W.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 363-4

No comments: