Sunday, September 17, 2023

J. M. Kenney to Senator Daniel S. Dickinson, September 9, 1850

WASHINGTON, D. C., September 9, 1850.

SIR—You will, I trust, excuse a stranger the liberty he takes, when he assures you that admiration of your patriotism and the wish that his children and their descendants shall constantly have your example before them, have occasioned this intrusion. I have a strong desire to possess five copies, each, of such speeches as have been delivered by yourself and a few other patriots, upon the exciting topics which have engrossed the attention of Congress during the present session. I intend to have them handsomely bound-one copy for each of my four children and one for myself.

Will you, therefore, have the kindness to inclose me five copies, as above, of such speeches as you have delivered this session, with your name in your own hand written upon the title page of each?

Thus, when you and I have passed to our final account, I cherish the hope that my children and theirs will venerate the memory and be stimulated to a greater love of the Union by the noble sentiments and patriotic example of those who, forgetting everything but their country, have so eminently contributed to its peace and safety, in the crisis through which we have just passed.

With sentiments of high respect, I have the honor to be

Your obedient servant,
J. M. KENNEY.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 447

No comments: