Sunday, September 17, 2023

James Buchanan to Senator Daniel S. Dickinson, September 9, 1850

WHEATLAND, NEAR LANCASTER, September 9, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR—In examining the proceedings of the Senate on Thursday last, I find that they have passed resolutions in favor of the claim of the Cherokee Indians. I have always believed this to be just; but I should not take the liberty of addressing you upon the subject, were not a lady in question. Colonel S., who has passed years in advocating this claim to the neglect of other business, has a wife near Lancaster, in whom all her friends feel much interest, and she is in truth an excellent woman, whom I desire greatly to oblige. Colonel S.'s personal property is now under execution, and she informs me that he relies for relief upon the compensation he is to receive from the Cherokees for his services. If therefore you believe the claim to be just, I should esteem it a personal favor, if you would exert your well-deserved influence in the Senate to have it passed.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

I have been very much gratified with the very high standing which you have deservedly acquired in the Senate and throughout the country, during the present session. You have no friend who more sincerely rejoices in your rapidly extending reputation, than

Your friend,
JAMES BUCHANAN.

I should be very happy indeed, if you would pay me a visit on your return to New York. You might rely on a hearty welcome-and good cheer.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 448

No comments: