Sunday, September 17, 2023

Senator Daniel S. Dickinson to Lydia L. Dickinson, July 13, 1850

WASHINGTON, July 13, 1850.

MY DEAR LYDIA L.—I received your mother's of the 8th this morning. I had previously received yours of the 6th. We are waiting for the President's funeral, which is to take place to-morrow, and I suppose on Monday we shall be at work again.

I am glad you are so well pleased at Avon, and hope you will stay long enough to profit by it, if it is likely to benefit you. I should like very much to be at Avon, or somewhere out of this vile heat and dust; but when we are to get away, is more than I know. I gave your cactus into the care of Eliza, but kept the rose myself. When I was gone to New York to the dinner, old Nancy, being lame, &c., let it nearly die: the leaves fell off, and I thought it a dead rose, sure enough. But I nurtured it as did Count de Charney his Picciola in the Castle of Fenestrella, and watered it bountifully as little Mary did her dead geranium, and it is now more beautiful than ever. All the old friends who linger here, including General Jones of Iowa, send many regards to your mother and you. I had a letter from Mr. Merrill to-day. I hope your mother and yourself will enjoy yourselves, and not feel concerned about home.

Love to your mother.
Affectionately your father,
D. S. DICKINSON.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 445

No comments: