Thursday, October 12, 2023

Senator Daniel Webster to Peter Harvey, Sunday, July 21, 1850

(PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.)
Sunday, July 21, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR,—Yours came to hand yesterday, together with one from Mr. Mills, and one from Mr. Haven. I yielded to what has been suggested from so many sides, and gave up my own wishes to the wishes and opinions of my friends. I must leave myself in their hands. There is work enough before me, and anxious duties in plenty; but if I can preserve my health, I will toil through a hot summer here, though I confess it does seem hard, that at my age I cannot enjoy the comforts of my own home. I was persuaded to think it was my duty, in the present crisis, to accept a seat in the cabinet,1 but it made my heart ache to think of it.

Yours, truly always,
DAN'L WEBSTER.
_______________

1 Two days later Webster would become the 19th United States Secretary of State.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 378

No comments: