Friday, January 19, 2024

Deming Jarves to Daniel Webster, August 17, 1850

Boston, August 17, 1850.

DEAR SIR,—I have taken the liberty of sending to your mansion in Marshfield, a large glass bowl, which please accept as a token of my respect for you personally, and as a mark of my entire confidence in your political course, through the many years you have so patriotically devoted to the welfare of our country. I trust your late efforts in the United States Senate will be crowned with success, and a nation's gratitude be awarded you.

The glass bowl will claim the merit of being much the largest piece of flint glass made by machinery in any part of the world; two machinists were employed by the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company, six months, in forming the mould, and the bowl sent is the first made in it; it is called the "Union Bowl." The name, I know, will not make it less valuable.

With respect and esteem I remain,

Your obedient servant,
DEMING JARVES.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 384

No comments: