Friday, January 19, 2024

Daniel Webster to Peter Harvey, August 7, 1850

Washington, Wednesday, August 7, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR,—I received your letter this morning. I do most fervently hope that Mr. Fearing will come to Congress. We need him. I am tired of standing up here, almost alone from Massachusetts, contending for practical measures, absolutely essential to the good of the country. All must see that it cannot but be disagreeable to me to struggle day after day, and waste my health, in the Senate or in the Department, to bring about a settlement of national difficulties, and yet have no Massachusetts following. I will not say I am altogether alone; Mr. Ashmun is acting a very proper and a vigorous part; I rely on him entirely. And I hope that a better feeling is beginning to inspire others of the members; but there has not been one of them as yet, who has ventured to stand up and say that he would stand by me, or my principles, or my views of policy. This is disagreeable and mortifying; although instead of discouraging me, it only puts me up to greater efforts to maintain myself, and to defend my position. I feel that something has been accomplished by my feeble efforts, aided or unaided; and if ever Massachusetts should leave me altogether without succor or encouragement from her, there will be no fainting in my heart, no slackening of my exertions. But if Mr. Fearing would come here, I should feel that I had a friend near me, free and independent, above all pledges and commitments, and having a single eye to the great good of the country.

Coming fresh from Boston, since these great measures have been under discussion, he would have great weight, and with Mr. Ashmun's assistance, might exercise a salutary influence with other representatives. He will be able to speak for Boston, and her voice is wont to be respected.

I thank you for the kindness expressed in other parts of your letter. I am busy enough, but my health is good, and I hope I may yet live to see the return of a better state of things.

I am, dear Sir, with regard,

always truly yours,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 382-3

No comments: