Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Diary of 1st Lieutenant Joseph Stockton, July 31, 1862

Until today I have been making my arrangements to leave; resigned my position at Clark & Co.'s, disposing of such things as I did not need, recruiting men for the Hancock Guard, etc. I received this morning my commission from the adjutant general (A. C. Fuller) of the state as 1st lieutenant "Board of Trade Regiment," there being no number assigned as yet to the regiment now forming. As I was riding to Camp Douglas on horseback I met Captain Christopher in a buggy with a lady and there on the open field he mustered me into the service of the government of the United States. I was offered the adjutancy of the regiment but declined the same, not having experience for such a position. We are now encamped in a grove near the enclosure of Camp Douglas, the men reporting there as soon as enlisted.

SOURCE: Joseph Stockton, War Diary (1862-5) of Brevet Brigadier General Joseph Stockton, p. 1

No comments: