Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Diary of Captain Joseph Stockton, August 25, 1862

CAIRO, ILL.  Since the last date I have been to busy to attempt anything in the way of writing. The Board of Trade Regiment was mustered into service as the 72d Regiment of Ill. Vol. on the 21st day of August, 1862, Fred A. Starring as colonel, Joseph C. Wright as lieutenant colonel, and H. W. Chester as major, the latter being captain of Co. A., to which company I belonged as first lieutenant. I was by reason of his promotion as major, made captain. Not being able to leave the camp my brother John and my sister came to the camp to bid me goodbye. I had no opportunity of seeing my friends who were kind enough to present me with a full uniform, sword, sash and belt. There was no opportunity for speech making, but I inwardly resolved I would not disgrace this friendship or dishonor the sword they were so kind to present me with. Marching orders came upon us suddenly, only two days after we were mustered in we received marching orders and on the 23rd of August embarked on board the Illinois Central train for Cairo, which we reached on the afternoon of the 24th. Everything is in confusion and we will from this time commence to realize a soldier's life, try to do a soldier's duty. God alone knows who will return, but I must not commence thinking of that, as it is a soldier's duty to die if need be. Our regiment is composed of fine material, five companies being composed of men raised under the auspices of the Young Men's Christian Association together with the Board of Trade. The commanding officers of the companies are as follows: "A"-Stockton; "B"Curtis; "C"-James; "D"-Sexton; "E"-Holbrook; "F"-Williams; "G"-French; "H"-Prior; "I"-Barnes; "K"-Reid. Our Adjutant, Bacon, is a good soldier and well liked. Starring, a fine disciplinarian; Wright, a Christian gentleman who will make a fine soldier; Chester, who claims Mexican War experience. Quartermaster Thomas is a hard worker and Sutler Jake Hayward, a whole souled, clever fellow. His delicacies, such as ginger bread, canned peaches, cheese, etc., are relished by the men who still have some money in their pockets. This Cairo is a miserable hole, the barracks are in a terrible state, filled with rats and mice and other creeping things. I prefer to sleep outdoors to sleeping in my quarters. Our time is taken up with company and regimental drill, weather very hot, no excitement except the passing through of regiments. We were ordered here to relieve the 11th Ill.. who go to Paducah. Men are getting sick and I am anxious for marching orders.

SOURCE: Joseph Stockton, War Diary (1862-5) of Brevet Brigadier General Joseph Stockton, p. 1-2

No comments: