Saturday, March 16, 2024

Congressman Horace Mann, September 10, 1850

SEPT. 10.

This is Tuesday, my black-chalk day; for, on this day, I get no letter from home. The House is now discussing the question, whether the representatives from California shall be admitted as members of the House. They are objected to because they were chosen by the people long before California became a State. The bill to admit California was signed by the President yesterday, and these claimants were chosen nearly a year ago: so that they were chosen to represent a State before there was any such State.

What a mighty country ours is! It has all the means of greatness but intelligence and integrity. In these how deficient it is! I hope God will let us live through our youthful follies and vices, as he does some individuals; and that, later in life, something may be done to atone for the follies of these early days.

The time for our adjournment is fixed. Then-oh then! I will not think too much of what may lie between me and my hopes.

SOURCE: Mary Tyler Peabody Mann, Life of Horace Mann, p. 325-6

No comments: