Saturday, March 16, 2024

Congressman Horace Mann, September 4, 1850

SEPT. 4.

We had two or three proslavery speeches yesterday, and we have been taking some very interesting questions this morning. This whole question has become so complicated, that it is difficult to explain it. It cannot be done by letter. I hope I shall have a chance soon to do it orally. . . . I wish every night that could see our sunsets. I get no time to read or to write. To keep up with the business of the House, to prepare myself so as to know how to vote conscientiously, occupies my whole time. If I would vote with the party, or vote without knowing any thing upon what I vote, it would save me a great deal of time. We have just voted to commit the Texas Boundary Bill to the Committee of the Whole on the State of the Union. This gives us a chance to amend it, and put it in a better shape. The friends of freedom all voted for this; and many who do not care for freedom, but who must vote as they did, joined us, so that we prevailed by 101 to 99.

SOURCE: Mary Tyler Peabody Mann, Life of Horace Mann, p. 321-2

No comments: