Monday, April 15, 2024

Diary of Captain Joseph Stockton, December 18, 1862

In camp eight miles from Oxford. We cannot move our camps but a few miles distance from the railroad, as all our subsistence depends on our being able to keep the road open. Our camp is in a beautiful forest of splendid large trees, fine water, and I enjoy the large log fires we have, particularly at night when it is the only light we can have. There are a number of Germans in my company who sing very well and it is always a pleasure to me to have them come up to my quarters and sing. Days are warm and pleasant. Sent a few leaves of holly to Kate as my Christmas gift. Also sent some to St. James church for a Christmas wreath.

SOURCE: Joseph Stockton, War Diary (1862-5) of Brevet Brigadier General Joseph Stockton, p. 6

No comments: