Thursday, July 4, 2024

General William T. Sherman to Senator John Sherman, February 24, 1884

ST. LOUIS, Feb. 24, 1884.

Dear Brother: I think I have owed you a letter some time. I have nothing new. Days, weeks, and months glide by, and my mail brings the most conglomerate stuft possible, letters asking for autographs, photographs, donations, tokens, such as saddles, swords, muskets, buttons, etc., etc., which I used in the war, many letters predicting that I will be the next President, and that the writer foresaw it and was the first to conceive the thought. . . . I notice with satisfaction that my name is being gradually dropped, and that my sincerity is recognized. What your party wants is a good, fair executive, and of these you have plenty,—Edmunds, Harrison, Gresham, Logan, etc., etc. I wish to remain absolutely neutral. Gresham has a fine war record, and is as honest, outspoken, judicious a man as I know among my old soldiers. I also think highly of Calkins of Indiana and Ballantine of Nebraska.

Affectionately yours,
W. T. SHERMAN.

SOURCE: Rachel Sherman Thorndike, Editor, The Sherman Letters: Correspondence Between General and Senator Sherman from 1837 to 1891, p. 358

No comments: