Thursday, July 4, 2024

Senator John Sherman to General William T. Sherman, March 7, 1884

UNITED STATES SENATE,        
WASHINGTON, D.C., March 7, 1884.

Dear Brother: . . . I have made up my mind to be silent and neutral, and I think that it is your best course. You did not want the nomination. I would gladly take it as an honorable closing of thirty years of political life, but I will neither ask for it, scheme for it, nor have I the faintest hope of getting it, and at the end of my present term I intend to retire from my political life and take it easy.

One thing you ought to have, and I think Congress would readily grant it if acceptable to you, and that is the detail of a staff-officer to help you with your military correspondence, to travel with you, and aid you in the social duties that will always cling to you while you live. . . .

Affectionately yours,
JOHN SHERMAN.

SOURCE: Rachel Sherman Thorndike, Editor, The Sherman Letters: Correspondence Between General and Senator Sherman from 1837 to 1891, p. 358-9

No comments: