Sunday, August 4, 2024

Daniel Webster to Mr. Plumer, February 14, 1851

Washington, February 14, 1851.

DEAR SIR,—I wish it were in my power to find time to write or speak of your father, and gather up the recollections which I have of him. But in truth, my time at present is absolutely and altogether devoted to public duties.

I knew your father very well from 1801 to 1817, when I left the State. The first time I saw him was at Mr. Peabody's, in Exeter, where he took the lead in a table conversation, upon the merits and demerits of Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I remember also his speaking of the Edinburgh Review, and Mr. Jeffrey, both just then becoming conspicuous. He left the Senate, I think, in 1807. We did not agree upon the embargo policy of Mr. Jefferson and Mr. Madison, and the subsequent war with England. But I do not suppose that we ever differed upon any other important practical questions, nor upon any great constitutional question.

I expect to be in Boston about the 1st of April or the latter part of March. If you could conveniently meet me there, I would cheerfully pass an hour or two with you, in stating what I recollect of him, and expressing the opinion which I entertain of his talents and character.

I remain, very truly, yours,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 419-20

No comments: