Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Senator Henry Clay to James Harlan, March 13, 1849

NEW ORLEANS, March 13, 1849.

MY DEAR SIR,—I received your favor of the 3d instant. I concluded not to attend the Call Session, which I could not have done without much personal discomfort.

The Cabinet of General Taylor was not, it seems, exactly as you supposed. Some of the appointments excited surprise. I think that he might have made one of greater strength. I am truly concerned that Letcher was overlooked. I had strong hopes that he would have been appointed, and I thought I had reason for them.

I think it quite likely that you may be right in supposing that neither I nor my friends will find much favor at Court. As to myself, having given no just cause for its frowns, I can bear them without difficulty; but the President will be unwise if he neglects or proscribes my friends. Without them, he never could have been elected.

While I have no desire to go into the Convention, I shall make no decision until my return. I leave this city on the 17th instant, and stopping on the river at one or two places, I hope to reach home about the last of the month.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 586

No comments: