Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Major General George B. McClellan to Abraham Lincoln, July 4, 1862 – 1 p.m.

HARRISON'S BAR, JAMES RIVER,
July 4, 18621 p.m. (Received July 5, 12.50 a.m.)

The PRESIDENT:

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your dispatch of yesterday afternoon. I thank you for your expression of satisfaction with the conduct of this army and myself.

On yesterday I ordered General Burnside to send me such re-enforcements as he could afford. I thank you for the order to General Hunter to send me all the troops he can spare. I regret that General Halleck considers all his force necessary to maintain his position. I do not wish to endanger in any way the secure occupation of what has been gained in the Southwest. I will do the best I can with such force as I have and such aid as you can give me. I think that the Army of Virginia should keep out cavalry reconnaissances in the direction of Richmend, lest the enemy should prefer an advance to Washington to attacking this army. I wish to be advised fully of all matters in front of that army. If the capital be threatened, I will move this army, at whatever hazard, in such direction as will best divert the enemy.

Our whole army is now drawn up for review in its positions, bands playing, salutes being fired, and all things looking bright.

GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 3 (Serial No. 14), p. 294

No comments: