Thursday, March 6, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, January 7, 1863

HEADQUARTERS FIFTH ARMY CORPS, January 7, 1863.

Your assurances of the exalted position I occupy are very grateful. I don't think, however, you need worry yourself about my getting much higher for the present. There are too many ahead of me for my turn to come for some time. To-morrow General Burnside is to review our corps. I sent Coxe up to Washington, who has returned with the materials for a collation. I wish you could be here to see the review. Burnside told me to-day that he had telegraphed to the President for authority to advance, and that if it was refused, he should insist on retiring. I have reason to believe great efforts have been made to displace him, and perhaps this act of his may settle it. At any rate, so long as this question of an advance is open, I cannot get away. I have been very unfortunate, as almost every one has managed to get off for a few days.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 346

No comments: