Friday, July 11, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, July 21, 1863

Union, Va., July 21,1863.

Your indignation at the manner in which I was treated on Lee's escape is not only natural, but was and is fully shared by me. I did think at one time writing frankly to the President, informing him I never desired the command, and would be most glad at any time to be relieved, and that, as he had expressed dissatisfaction at my course, I thought it was his duty, independent of any personal consideration, to remove me. After reflection, however, I came to the conclusion to take no further action in the matter, and leave it entirely with them. I took the command from a sense of duty. I shall continue to exercise it, to the best of my humble capacity, in the same spirit. I have no ambition or ulterior views, and whatever be my fate, I shall try to preserve a clear conscience. I have received very handsome letters, both from Generals McClellan and Pope, which I enclose for your perusal and preservation.1 I have answered them both in the same spirit as appears to have dictated them.
_______________

1 For letter from McClellan to Meade, see Appendix D.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 135-6

No comments: