Monday, August 25, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, December 22, 1864

Louisville, Ky., On Board Str. “Huntsman,”
Thursday, Dec. 22, 1864.

Arriving yesterday morning at Louisville, I found myself too late for the morning train to Nashville, and of course was compelled to lie over. The circumstance was fortunate, inasmuch as the train was thrown from the track and the passengers who started were compelled to return. Discovering that the road was not in first rate working order, I determined to go round by water, and am now about taking my departure on the steamboat Huntsman, that, if we have good wind and meet with no guerillas, will put me in Nashville on Monday next. I expect to spend Christmas on the Cumberland River.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 371

No comments: