Saturday, August 30, 2014

Theodore Parker to Professor Desor, December 7, 1859

Rome (Poste Restante), Dec. 7, 1859.

I am rejoiced to hear such good tidings of the KΓΌchlers. I will set about my papers immediately, and will do nothing else till both are finished. Shall I send them to you by mail, or wait till you come here en route for Naples? My wife shall copy them out in a good, fair hand. I have not felt in spirits to write anything of late: affairs at home have filled me with anxiety. You have not, perhaps, heard that Captain Brown, with fifteen or twenty men, made an attempt to free the slaves of Virginia, at Harper's Ferry. His two sons were shot, and most of his men. He and five or six men were taken prisoners, and have had such a “trial” as slave-holders give such men; are convicted, and hung before now. Brown was a friend of mine — his two sons have been at my house. Other friends of mine have been forced to fly from their country. Attempts are made to implicate many prominent men at the North, and there will be a deal of trouble. I should not be surprised to see Dr. Howe in Rome this winter, for there seems to be some evidence against him which makes the slave-holders suspect him. So he may have to flee off for his life, or to avoid exposing other men. The South talk very big, and utter threats against all the leading men of the North — Seward, Hale, Wilson, Sumner, &c. Congress came together yesterday, and there will be a stupid message from the President, and a stormy session all winter. I look for more broken heads before summer. We are coming upon a great crisis in American history, and a civil war seems at no great distance. The slave-holders will be driven, by the logic of their principles, to demand what the free men of the North will not consent to: then comes the split — not without blood! All national constitutions are writ on the parchment of a drum-head, and published with the roar of cannon!

I have no hope for the people of Italy, specially none for the Romans. These are a miserable people, out of whom all virtus seems to have perished utterly. I am told the Pope is in sad want of money: “Es fehlt ihm jetzt an Ablassgelt!” He gets nothing from Romagna, and as he owes more than 70,000,000 dollars, he can't borrow, except at great and ruinous interest. The sooner he and the like of him go to the Devil the better. He has just published an edictum against crinolines, and forbids women accoutred therein to enter the churches. We all send our heartiest love to you, the Apthorps included. Remember me to the good Marie.

Yours,
Theodore Parker.

My little book, "Experience," &c., which you have, has been republished in London, and here a Swede is translating it into his own melodious Northern tongue. I don't know whether or not he will find anybody to publish it in Sweden, for I see a Bill has been introduced to their Popular (!) Assembly to make the priests censors of the press, with unconditional power.

SOURCE: John Weiss, Life and correspondence of Theodore Parker, Volume 2, p. 388-9

No comments: