Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Commodore Samuel F. Du Pont to Senator James W. Grimes, December 2, 1861

Wabash, Port Royal Harbor, December 2, 1861.

Your kind and gratifying letter reached me yesterday. It was especially welcome from a slight circumstance occurring last summer. I was in the Navy Department when Mr. Fox received a letter from you from your Western home, and he kindly let me read it. It related to the Hatteras affair, and contained comments and suggestions in reference to any future naval expeditions, which so impressed me that I thought of you immediately after our success here; but, being too much pressed to write to you, I requested Captain Raymond Rodgers to do so, and I hope his letter reached you, that you may see our remembrance was mutual.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 159

No comments: