Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Elizabeth S. Nealley Grimes, May 4, 1862

Washington, May 4, 1862.

I have just returned from church; heard a good sermon from Dr. Channing, better than I ever heard from him, I think. The congregation is enlarging, and I am inclined to think that he will finally succeed in building up a good society here.

I met Miss Donelson yesterday. She returned from Port Royal three days ago. She speaks very favorably of the docility, obedience, and faithfulness, of the blacks at that place.

You observe that Mr. Wells has issued a circular, directing “contrabands,” as he calls them, to be enlisted in the naval service. This must be finally followed up by an army order, sooner or later, and then comes the end of slavery. I regard the employment of colored persons in the Army and Navy as of vastly more importance in putting an end to slavery than all of the confiscation acts that could be devised by the ingenuity of man.

I wish I were at home with you, wandering about the garden, as I should be at this hour.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 196

No comments: