Sunday, May 31, 2015

Captain William F. Bartlett to Lieutenant-Colonel Francis W. Palfrey, Sunday Morning, May 11, 1862

Baltimore, Sunday Morning, May 11.

I fear daily lest your kind disposition shall cause you to take too much trouble in my behalf. I know that it cannot be convenient for you to write me every day so faithfully; and much as I delight in your letters, I am distressed by the thought that you are putting yourself to too much trouble sometimes. I beg you won't feel obliged to write every day, only when it is perfectly convenient. . . .

At this point enter Dr. at “L. C.” Exeunt writing materials, etc., R. U. E., “with life.” (Patient looking very innocent.)

Dr. “Pulse a little fast this morning, probably from sitting up.”

Patient. Yes sir, I suppose so.” (At this point enter second Dr., son of first, and the language becomes technical.). . . .

The scenes have been shifted (i. e., the bandages).

The Drs. have retired, everything is going on well. I am now at liberty to resume my writing, and make those pulse move a little faster again.

I wish I were with you this pleasant Sunday morning, or at least knew exactly where you were.

We hear of Franklin's and Sedgwick's Divisions being engaged, and are anxious for particulars, but can get none. The general report is, you were entirely victorious, with the odds against you. We shall hear soon.

I find my sword-arm is getting a little tired, and I shall have to let mother vibrate her smoothly swinging goose plume. (N. B. she writes with a quill.)

The weather is delightful and most favorable to me. I see much people, now, daily.

I wish you would ask one Hayward, in your regiment, if he intends to answer a letter that I wrote him some months since, when I was first brought here.

Give a great deal of love to the Colonel and all the fellows, and believe me as ever,

Yours most devotedly,
Frank.

News this morning that Norfolk, navy-yard and all, is taken. It may be true. All anxious to hear of your movements.    F.

P. S. Quite a long letter for the first attempt isn't it?


[Written by Harriett Plummer Bartlett, Captain Bartlett’s mother:]

P. S. Frank has left me little to say; to be truthful, his picture should be shaded a little; but he looks only on the bright side.

He is, I have no doubt, doing remarkably well; so the surgeon assures me every day. Still, he suffers intensely, at times, and this has been a very hard day for him. He has scarcely been free from pain a moment, and the worst is in the poor shattered foot and leg which is gone. He says, “Ask the Colonel if they gave my leg Christian burial, for my foot torments me as if it were ill at rest.”

I had nearly forgotten to say, that all your letters have been received, but not in the order in which they were written. The last bears date May 4, 8 P. M., and we are now anxiously looking for news from West Point, which is the last place where your Division is spoken of as being engaged.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 46-8

No comments: