Friday, June 19, 2015

Brigadier-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, July 12, 1862

Camp James River, July 12, 1862.
My dear sister:

Everything remains very much as when I last wrote. No reinforcements have arrived since. The enemy have withdrawn and returned to the vicinity of Richmond. What our future movements are to be is quite uncertain. The President rode through the camps when here, and expressed himself pleased and disappointed in the appearance of the troops. He had supposed that we were all desponding, when he found every one joyful. General McClellan paid me and my division a high compliment in presenting us to the President. I believe he has recommended me for a Brevet Brigadier in the regular army. I know General Sumner has. I would value this more than a Brigadier of Volunteers.

Write often. Have you purchased the Treasury notes and have you paid off all our debts? I hope so, and have something left to keep the machine running. You must not break in upon what we have salted away. I believe I wrote you that I lost my old horse in one of the actions. My servant, who has been with me as long as the horse, had gone on, and I did not see him for two days. When I told him about Tom, he cried like a child, and said, “Bless God, General, I am glad they did not get you. Next to old Tom” (the horse), “I had rather see you safe than any man living.” I owe him about one hundred dollars. With much love to all,

I am, very affectionately,
J. S.

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 74-5

No comments: