Sunday, August 16, 2015

Francis Lieber to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, September 10, 1865

New York, September 10,1865.

. . . The Secretary of War is going to ask Congress for an appropriation for a lecturer on the Law and Usages of War on Land, at West Point, and to give me the place if he gets the appropriation. You recollect the thing is an old plan of mine. My idea is that only ten or twelve lectures should be given, toward the end of the whole West Point course. There has been very little written on the subject, nor is there any book exactly fitted as a text-book. Your book comes nearest, but it is far more for the lawyer than for the nascent officer.  . . . I consider the arming of negroes in our recent war one of the most important features, not only in a military point of view, but also, and chiefly, with reference to our law, polity, and national status. It interests me therefore deeply to know who first conceived this bold idea; — Stanton, Thomas, you? I recollect that a good while before the appointment of the Old Hundred Commission I said to Mr. Stanton that something ought to be done to organize the negroes who came to us from the enemy, and whom General McClellan was so desirous to return with his compliments. The Secretary seized upon the idea, as one who had occupied himself with the subject or who felt the inconvenience of the then existing state of things, and asked me to give him my views on the subject, and if anything could be learned from the English management of the navies [sic]. My idea then was to organize armed working companies of the negroes, their armament and drilling to be for the purpose of defence, and also for the duty of guarding stores, &e. You may remember the paper; at least I feel pretty sure that I sent you a copy. Not long after, however, I found that the Government had conceived, for that time, the very bold plan of simply arming and organizing the colored people. Now who had the first idea? There can be no breach of confidence in telling now to whom the honor is due. The measure ought to be tabled, with the proper name, in the great archives of history. Using the word archives reminds me of my bureau. The name has lately been changed into Archive Office of the War Department. Having recently received some boxes with the papers of disbanded army corps, it appears that this office is to be that of General American War Archives — a very good idea. I have been here for a few days, and return to Washington to-morrow. As yet I have found very little of any special importance. Beauregard is the veriest coxcomb, corresponding with scores of misses, and receiving information about the noblesse in his veins; Sanders, the lowest party hack; Jefferson Davis, quiet. Once he says of Butler, “justly called the beast.” Though unimportant, I must beg you to treat this as a confidential communication, as my order is to be silent; to you, of course, I can speak. We met with a great deal of Richmond street-dirt in the boxes, proving that your order had been executed with the besom, — and such disorder! . . .

SOURCE: Thomas Sergeant Perry, Editor, The Life and Letters of Francis Lieber, p. 359-60

No comments: