Friday, July 22, 2011

Jim Lane Back Again

Jim Lane issued a circular, published in the Kansas papers, on the 26th ultimo, from which we publish the following extract:

“I had no military ambition beyond that of connection with this expedition.  I desired to surround the institution of Slavery with free territory, and thus girdle the cause of the rebellion itself.  Without fault on my part, as I believe, I have been thwarted in this, the cherished hope of my life.

“The sad yet simple duty only remains to announce to you, and through you to the people of Kansas, my purpose to return to my seat in the United States Senate – a purpose declared to the President through a telegram, of which the following is a copy:


LEVENWORTH, KANSAS, Feb. 16.

“All efforts to harmonize with Major General Hunter have failed.  I am compelled to decline the brigadiership.”

J. H. LANE.


“I have nothing further to say.  I trust you will find me as ever faithful to the State and the country.  All I am and all I have shall now, as heretofore, be devoted to them.”

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Monday Morning, March 10, 1862, p. 2

No comments: