Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mr. Ericsson Proposes To Defy England And Europe

Captain Ericsson has written the following letter to Mr. Epes Sargent, of Boston:

NEW YORK, March 11.

MY DEAR SARGENT. – I accept with great pleasure your congratulations and assure you that every exertion will be made on my part to furnish the nation with war vessels that will enable us to defy Europe.  Give me only the requisite means, and in a very short time we can say to those Powers, now bent on destroying Republican freedom leave the Gulf with your frail craft or perish!  I have all my life asserted that mechanical science will put an end to the power of England over the seas.  The ocean is Nature’s highway between the nations.  It should be free; and surely Nature’s laws, when properly applied, will make it so.

Yours very truly,

J. ERICSSON.

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Tuesday Morning, March 25, 1862, p. 2

No comments: