Sunday, April 1, 2012

Union Feeling At The South

The following is a copy of a letter found at Fort Henry.  It is one among many proofs of the prevalence of a felling at the South, which inspires the liveliest hopes of the speedy return of the Southern States to the Union.


NASHVILLE, TENN., January 7.

DEAR SON:  I received your always welcome letter yesterday, and I am going to answer it speedily.  I received your package containing $300 of C. S. script, for which I am very grateful.  I am glad that you are doing well and that you are well, but I tremble when I think of you being engaged in this horrid war.  Henry my son, I can but feel the South is in the wrong.  We may console ourselves with what ever belief we choose, the United States is bound to subdue us.  General McClellan has and is exercising great generalship.  I fear that soon a movement will be made that will crush us out.  Henry, I know you must think as I do.  I wish you would resign, and we will move North.  No one here suspects my Union proclivities.  I am obliged for the sake of your mother and sisters to talk and be a Secessionist, but I say to you, what I said when you were at home, I do not believe that Northern men desire the ruin of the South.

A great interest is felt here as regards your position; (Fort Henry,) if that is taken the South is surely conquered.  You can see this as well as others.  I bought yesterday old Collin’s man Bandy, and he will prove a good hand.  We have been cleaning out the warehouse the last week.

Destroy this letter, as it may get you into trouble.  Your affectionate father.

– Published in The Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, March 1, 1862, p. 2

No comments: