Wednesday, February 5, 2014

John Brown to Owen Brown Sr., October 29, 1846

SPRINGFIELD, MASS., 29th Oct., 1846.

DEAR FATHER, — Yours of the 22d, telling us of the death of brother King, is received. I must say, that, with all his imperfections and faults, I certainly feel that if he has not been a very warm-hearted, yet he has been a steady, friend, and on some accounts a useful friend; and I mourn his frailties and death sincerely. You say he expected to die, but do not say how he felt in regard to the change as it drew near. I have to confess my unfaithfulness to my friend in regard to his most important interest. I did not fail to write you, as soon as I returned myself, from want of inclination, but because I thought it would please you quite as much to get a letter from Jason. We are getting along moderately with our business, but when we shall be able to close it up will be difficult to say, for we still continue to receive large quantities of wool. Prices rather improve. We expect to be ready to close up all the lots Jerry brought on in a very few days. Have contracted away the lowest he brought at twenty-five cents per pound. There is no doubt but we might make the most advantageous exchanges of wool for any description of woollen goods that are wanted in the country. We shall probably take hold of the business with a view to such exchanges another year, if we continue the wool business. We find no difficulty in disposing of the very coarsest wools, now that we have learned better where to sell them, and can turn them cash. Please write often, and let us hear how you all get along, and what you think proper to say to us.

Your affectionate son,
JOHN BROWN.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 21

No comments: