Saturday, May 3, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, April 26, 1863

CAMP NEAR FALMOUTH, VA., April 26, 1863.

Hooker seems very confident of success, but lets no one into his secrets. I heard him say that not a human being knew his plans either in the army or at Washington. For my part I am willing to be in ignorance, for it prevents all criticism and faultfinding in advance. All I ask and pray for is to be told explicitly and clearly what I am expected to do, and then I shall try, to the best of my ability, to accomplish the task set before me. This afternoon, while at headquarters, I saw the arrival of Mr. Seward with several ladies, and three or four of the foreign Ministers, from Washington. I was not introduced to them, as I was on business and in a hurry to get home.  I have been riding all day and am a little fatigued.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 369-70

No comments: