Friday, August 8, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Walter Smith & Elizabeth Budd Smith, January 9, 1864

Headquarters First Brigade,
Fourth Div., Seventeenth Army Corps,
Department Of The Tennessee,
“Camp Kilby” In The Field, January 9, 1864.
My Dear Mother And Wife:

I have just finished packing a box of books, old, some of them well-worn, and all of them, with one or two exceptions, have given me solace. You will find stories to interest the children at least, mayhap some that in revision will interest you. I quite envy the pleasure you will, I think, have about the fireside in the perusal of the old stories. John Randolph, in one of his letters, says, “Indeed, I have sometimes blamed myself for not cultivating your imagination, when you were young. It is a dangerous quality, however, for the possessor. But if from my life were to be taken the pleasure derived from that faculty, very little would remain. Shakspeare, and Milton, and Chaucer, and Spencer, and Plutarch, and the Arabian Nights Entertainments, and Don Quixote, and Gil Bias, and Tom Jones, and Gulliver, and Robinson Crusoe, and the tale of Troy divine, have made up more than half my worldly enjoyments.” I sympathize and agree with what he says. Everyone of those books is dear to me now. I got the second volume of Tom Jones by accident the other day, and devoured the whole of it at a sitting. So I would Robinson Crusoe, and I have never ceased to regret the loss of my first copy of the Arabian Nights, which someone of the . . . family borrowed and forgot to return.

You remember Uncle Jones made me a Christmas present of it, the first copy I ever saw and I incontinently devoured it, lying on my belly in front of the chamber fire at the immortal “Saunders and Beaches,” while they took turns reading French to you downstairs. The sensations produced upon me then by that book are vivid with me now. Still imagination “is a dangerous quality for the possessor.” Certainly, there is no pleasure so lasting, none to which we can so frequently revert and with so little danger of satiety; but a fine mind may be given up entirely to the pleasures of fiction, and by too free indulgence be enervated for profitable labor. Upon retrospection, I am satisfied that this was the case with myself. I read hugely, enormously, for a boy; more before I had reached my teens than many tolerably educated men in their lives. My reading ruined me for everything else except belles lettres and the classics. “Belles lettres and the classics” will do for the amusement of the fortunate recipient of hereditary wealth, but will hardly answer to get a living out of. Therefore, be a little cautious with the novels and the tales; they are all alike. Is there any chance for the Latin? I hope reasonable effort will be made in this behalf. You will be surprised at the change it will effect, the facilities it will give the learners in whatever else they are striving to acquire.

In respect to my camp, I am in what may be called a howling wilderness, deserted by all save prowling guerillas and my own soldiers. My regiments are scattered along a chain of bluffs, desolate and cheerless — this winter unusually bleak and cold. They are in tents or rude log huts. Timber is scarce, and water that is fit to drink, hard to get. The roads are so cut up as to be almost impassable. I am companionless, solitary; so far as interchange of sentiment is concerned, entirely alone. ... I make raids to the front in search of guerillas, and for forage and cattle, riding far and returning fast to my stronghold, sometimes imagining myself a Scottish chief, and living very much as the Scottish chiefs are described to have lived. I wish I had a Scott beside me now and then, to sing my lay. Where, or when, this life will end, I cannot say; I have no prescience of orders. I think we wait the action of Congress. We can't soon move far on account of the roads. Still, my camp life does not, with me, contrast disagreeably with the life I led at Natchez. Sudden change, rapid transition, is familiar to the soldier, who must learn to accommodate himself to camp or court. So long as my health is spared, I can contrive to be happy after a fashion under almost any circumstances. “My mind to me a kingdom is.”

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 348-50

No comments: