Sunday, October 18, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: November 6, 1861

Camp Near Seneca, November 6, 1861.

“The war cannot be long. It may be desperate.” This is not prophecy from the closet. It is inspiration from the master of the position. I claim for our General the rare virtue of sincerity, — the fibre of all genuine character. I repose on his statements. Recollect that he wields the causes. Shall he not predict the consequence? “I ask in the future forbearance, patience, and confidence.” But not for long. If he can compel our people to yield him those, he has already gained a victory like the conquest of a city. “I trust and feel that the day is not far distant when I shall return to the place dearest of all others to me.”

Now that's cheerful. Of course he won't go home and leave us on the wrong bank of the Potomac, — of course he won't go home and leave his lambs to come back wagging their tales, or tails, behind them and him. No! let us accept, let us hail the omen. “Youth is at the prow.” “Pleasure,” God's own pleasure, “has the helm.” For one, I am ready for the voyage. I take McClellan's speech to the Philadelphia deputation for my chart.

I am afraid this is in the nature of rhapsody; but then it is November, and one must live in the imagination, and look over into the land of promise, or he may wither and fall like the leaves about him.

I wrote thus far yesterday, but the gloomy sky and chilling blasts were so unpropitious, that I thought I would not attempt to resist their influence. It was a regular heavy, clouded, wet day. We had as yet no news of the fleet, and nothing to lift ourselves above the influence of the weather. Last evening we got a rumor of the safe arrival of the fleet off Bull's Bay, near Charleston, after the blow.

Upon this vague elation we went to sleep I am very glad to receive your copy of Howard's letter, and rejoice that he is in the midst of serious work. I recognize in his account the inevitable hardships and vicissitudes of his new life. As part of the Western army, he will undoubtedly see active service this winter, and will perhaps hardly get breathing time, unless he pauses awhile in Memphis to take a look at his old cotton-press. I am very glad that he is there, and prefer his position in the line to one on the staff, if he is equally well pleased with it. You say you like to receive my letters, and so, of course, I am most happy to write, but there is really just nothing to say. Yesterday, for example, all our fires smoked. My little stove was very vigorous in that direction. Proverbs are said to be the condensed wisdom of ages. I recalled that, “Where there is so much smoke there must be some fire,” and cheerfully hung on to the maxim through the day; but I felt very little fire. Then the question of moving the hospital was raised, considered, and settled; then the increase of measles was croaked and investigated; then the news came that the patient sick with typhus would die, and at evening he was dead; and now, this morning, we are preparing his funeral

To-day we have no news but the prevailing and increasing rumor that we shall move, in a day or two, into winter-quarters, or, at least, out of these quarters. I have a sort of hope that the fates may select our regiment for some Southern service, if we succeed in getting a good foothold on the coast.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 138-9

No comments: