Sunday, April 24, 2016

Colonel William F. Bartlett to Harriett Plummer Bartlett, March 24, 1863

Headquarters Forty-Ninth Regiment M. V. M.
Camp Banks, March 24, 1863.

My Dear Mother : — This is the first time I have had, when I could get at any paper, to write you since our return from Port Hudson. I will copy from my journal which I took with me. I wrote you last on the 12th.

That day were reviewed Grover's and Emory's Divisions. It took till one o'clock from eight. I saw General Andrews a few minutes. He has been made Chief of Staff to General Banks. A very good thing. He is just the man Banks needs. Spoke to General Banks a few minutes. After the review, I rode over to the camp of the Rhode Island Cavalry, and “drew,” by simply receipting for it, a fine McClellan saddle and bridle. By the way, I wish, father, you would go to Baker's and tell him that the saddle and bridle he sold me at such a big price is a swindle. The brass parts are iron merely covered over with a flimsy plating of brass foil, which peels off, in pieces, making it look worse than nothing; besides, in the case of the bits, scratching and cutting the horse's face. The leather, too, is very poor, many of the straps breaking at the least strain. Baker will have to look out for his reputation and custom. If I were he I would not want my name stamped on such a sham affair. This one that I have drawn is just as good leather; the buckles and bits of blued steel. Now all I want is my second horse, and my “establishment” is complete. I have not used the new saddle myself; it is for my groom Vantassel. I have been looking for a good horse ever since I got out here; have not found him yet. I don't expect, or care, to get as fine a one as my black beauty, only a strong, steady horse for the groom, to go with me when I ride. I would ride the second one into action, too, so as not to get mine shot. The mess pail reached me last week, much to my delight. I did not expect it so soon. It is perfectly splendid. Just what I wanted. I never saw a better one. The tea, too, is so much better than what we have had to drink, I wish you had sent more of it. We live in great style now. This morning for instance, I don't want a better breakfast. Nice dip-toast, coffee, fried hasty pudding, “crispy,” better than you can make it at home! The other night I made a corn-cake, merely poured boiling water on the meal, a little salt, and stood it up in front of the fire to bake. It was very nice indeed, and with butter, and honey “drawn” from some neighboring bee-hive, was about as good feed as they make in these quarters. We don't always live like this. Sometimes it is nothing but dry bread and molasses for days.

In regard to my saddle, and riding, I have got it well arranged. You know the upper edge of my wooden leg, coming against the hard saddle, used to cut through my pants every time I rode. I had patches of cloth put on, and afterwards patches of leather, but it even cut through these, by riding two or three hours. I then got a leather padded covering which fits on the seat of the saddle, making the saddle look more dressy and finished, and at the same time covering the wood, so that with a leather patch on my pants now, it does not wear through at all. Fletcher Abbott gave me the leather saddle-cover. To go back to my journal.

[Editor’s Note: I will include links to the journal entries once I have posted them.]

March 13, 1863
March 14, 1863
March 15, 1863
March 16, 1863
March 17, 1863
March 18, 1863
March 19, 1863
March 20, 1863
March 21, 1863
March 22, 1863
March 23, 1863
March 24, 1863
March 25, 1863

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 71-3

No comments: