Saturday, June 11, 2016

Major Wilder Dwight: January 21, 1862

Head-quarters Examining Board, January 21, 1861.

It has rained and hailed and sleeted for the past four days. We are kept under marching orders, but, I think, with no view of an immediate movement, though it cannot be long before we shall be called on to make ourselves useless or useful, according to our guidance.

I understand your state of suspense as to the army. For myself, I can see no other wisdom than patience and faith. I confess that, now and then, this seems difficult; but whether McClellan will not vindicate himself is not so clear; and if, when our army moves, it moves in organized obedience to a single will, the wonder will not be that so much time has been spent in preparation, but that the preparation has been made. . . . .

While I write this letter, the examination of an unlucky lieutenant is going on. The young man is wandering now through the mazes of battalion drill, and he seems rather lost. I hope this work is nearly over.

On the whole, bad as the season is, and ominous as the anniversary on which I write (six months ago, Bull Run), I should like to see some fighting done.

We have telegraphic news to-day of a “Great battle and victory over Zollicoffer in Kentucky.” I hope it may not dwindle as Nelson's victory did. I take great comfort in reading the extracts from the Southern newspapers. They seem to write without hope. Love to all.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 189-90

No comments: