Thursday, September 28, 2017

Major-General David Hunter to Edwin M. Stanton, January 29, 1862

Fort Leavenworth
Jan. 29. 1862.
Hon. E. M. Stanton,
Secretary of War:

Dear Sir: I congratulate our country on your appointment as Secretary of War.  Your predecessor did me the honor to request that I would communicate fully, freely and frankly with him; and I think it right and proper that a general commanding should have such frank communication with the political Chief of the Army.  If you think differently, please notify me, and I will not presume again to address you.

In the expedition about to go south from this Department, I beg that I may have a large discretion that I may be allowed to strike wherever I can do the most harm.  Selfishness might dictate a different request, but I do not fear responsibility if I can injure our enemy.  Please let me have my own way on the subject of slavery.  The administration will not be responsible.  I alone will bear the blame; you can censure me, arrest me, dismiss me, hang me if you will, but permit me to make my mark in such a way as to be remembered by friend and foe.

I have the honor to be,
Very Respecty,
Your ob. servant,
David Hunter,
Major General.

 SOURCE: Stanton, Edwin Mcmasters. Edwin McMasters Stanton Papers: Correspondence, 1831 to 1870; 1862; 1862, Jan. 14-Feb. 2. 1862. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mss41202002/, Images 216 & 217. (Accessed September 28, 2017.)

No comments: