Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Major-General George B. McClellan to Abraham Lincoln, May 1, 1862

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
Camp Winfield Scott, May 1, 1862 9.30 p.m.

His Excellency the PRESIDENT, Washington, D.C.:

I asked for the Parrott guns from Washington for the reason that some expected had been two weeks nearly on the way, and could not be heard from. They arrived last night. My arrangements had been made for them, and I thought time might be saved by getting others from Washington. My object was to hasten, not procrastinate. All is being done that human labor can accomplish.*

G. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.
_______________

* This in reply to Lincoln's dispatch of May 1, Vol. XI, Part III, p. 130.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 51, Part 1 (Serial No. 107), p. 589

No comments: