Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Abraham Lincoln to Major-General Godfrey Weitzel, April 12, 1865, 9 a.m.

WASHINGTON, D.C., April 12, 1865 9 a.m.
Major-General WEITZEL,
Richmond, Va.:

I have seen your dispatch to Colonel Hardie about the matter of prayers. I do not remember hearing prayers spoken of while I was in Richmond, but I have no doubt you have acted in what appeared to you to be the spirit and temper manifested by me while there. Is there any sign of the rebel legislature coming together on the understanding of my letter to you? If there is any such sign inform me what it is. If there is no such sign you may withdraw the offer.

A. LINCOLN.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I Volume 46, Part 3 (Serial No. 97), p. 724

No comments: