Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Gustavus V. Fox to Virginia Woodbury Fox, March 27, 1861

Washington D.C.
Mch. 27 ’61
D. V

“Circumlocution” and delay prevents me going today so I write and will not telegraph. There being a Dr Fox in the navy I am not supposed to be the visitor by any of my friends here, though as I told you Nell smoked me out. The Tribune of yesterday has my name in full but in an out of the way place, whilst Dr. Fox of the navy is conspicuous. I hope your Ma got all our things which were lying about every where, slippers under the bureau &c. &c. In the stand of your bureau were bills, receipts &c which ought to be secured. I asked Lowery to give you money to settle up with.

Blair is nearly run to death with office seekers. They left him at 2 this morning and commenced at 8 this morning. The Prest is equally beset. I have seen Abe often, also Mrs. L. She is Lady Like, converses easily, dresses well and has the Kentucky pronunciation like old Mrs. Blair. Higbee is appointed a marine officer. Morse is to have the P.O. at Portsh and Tallock, Gov. Goodwin's Secy, is to be Collector. Nell is mighty indignant that Spalding and Laighton are out. Probably something else will be offered them, though I don't know.

SOURCES: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 11

No comments: