Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Gustavus V. Fox to Virginia Woodbury Fox, April 6, 1861

Steam Ship Bath
Ap. 6th '61
My dearest V.

We have come to anchor just inside of Sandy Hook, being too late for the evening tide. We shall go over the bar at daylight in the morning. I feel deeply dearest wife the pain I cause you, but nevertheless I cannot shrink from a solemn duty, which, if successful is pregnant with great results for our beloved country. I am afraid we are too late, from no fault of mine, but I pray earnestly that I may be permitted to do something for a country dear to me above all others. There is no personal peril to those whom God selects to act a prominent part. I feel none, not the least. I confide completely in His great arm and the faithful prayers of a dear wife.

We have three officers and 200 men, I have instructions to them and the captn of the ship and shall not deliver them until the pilot leaves us, so no one has the least idea of the voyage though I think it will be in tomorrow's papers. One of my tugs went to sea last night, another came near us a few minutes since and I ordered her to make the best of her way to her destination. She immediately steamed out to sea.

Our three officers are cheerful and happy, true as steel, and anxious to do their duty.

Now do not brood over the dark picture my own sweet wife. What a picture of happiness God has framed for us "together" in the past. It will continue if we confide in Him. I feel my mother's sublime faith, that we have but to perform our duty, leaving the mysterious results to be worked out in his appointed time. And now farewell, only for a short time then back to answer your prayers and trust in Him.

Goodnight dearest,
Aff
Gus

SOURCE: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 26-7

No comments: