Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Thomas Wentworth Higginson

[Continued from HERE.]

Wednesday afternoon. Chess is perpetual in this “Institute.” A handsome youth, in beard and vizorless cap, plays every afternoon. All last evening there was a game with five lookers-on.

To-day is brighter, and brings more people into the street. I think I never saw so many black-haired, black-eyed, and black-clothed women, which surprises me. I have just met a beautiful child of eight, in deep mourning above her knees, and all below in full white pantalets and snowy long stockings drawn over her shoes. A girl a few years older had the same rig, but no mourning veil and a bright checked skirt. But the oddest little butterfly was a girl of six or seven coming home from school this morning: a scarlet cloak and hood, over a dark blue dress; then scarlet flannel drawers, loose and short; then black stockings surmounted by gray socks, covering the shoes. On the head, finally, a large round fur cap, with ears and no vizor. A sort of servant attended her. I saw some pretty fair-haired boys with large vizorless fur caps and loose gray wrappers, gathered by a belt of the same. The men are far handsomer than the women. All wear fur caps and gloves (which I did not see in Maine), and none the buffalo coats and red leggins which were common there.

This morning I went to the markets — wood, meat, and grass markets — all in open air. . . . I saw women sitting for hours in the freezing cold. There is a queer mixture in the currency. In the hotel placards they state $2 per day as their price, and “York shillings” seem as familiar as any other currency. In the same shop you see one thing labelled as 7/6 (English) and another as $6.00.

In fact, the American infusion is larger than I supposed. Mr. Smith, a Worcester man, . . . called on me. . . . He was eager for Worcester gossip. . . . He said there were many Yankees here and they prospered, as he had. . . .

I am amused to find that other American things creep in here also. My devoted little friend, Mr. Milne, is about to lose his place because of what the Directors called “an act of insubordination,” in inviting Lucy Stone here to lecture, on his own account, after they voted her “not a proper person for the Institute to countenance!” . . . But the spunky Secretary is resolved to have her here, in some other hall than the Institute's and I have promised (sub rosรข) to write the opinion of an American clergyman upon her, to be inserted in the paper, when she comes.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

I noticed English-looking hotels with pictures of the Crown and Anchor, the Fox and Hounds, etc. I saw but few colored people, but they looked, without exception, well clothed and comfortable.

SOURCE: Mary Potter Thacher Higginson, Editor, Letters and Journals of Thomas Wentworth Higginson, 1846-1906, p. 97-8

No comments: