Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Commandant Samuel F. Dupont to Gustavus V. Fox, Monday, October 28, 1861 – 2 p.m.

Confidential
Wabash H Roads       
Monday, 2 P.M. 28th Oct.
My Dear Sir

The very rough weather continued until eleven today, the sun is bright and sea getting down.

Shawsheen nearly lost, has come on disabled, and I sent her to Balto for repairs. I see Ellen and Whitehall had also to take refuge.

Calhoun stopped at Barnegat and then Abesecomb.

Vixen just in, our Coast Survey vessel. Her executive off. Mr. Platt, a most experienced coaster tells me he has never seen a worse sea running on the coast. I am satisfied now we should have lost our ferry boats and tugs and some two or three transports would have had to return. The tide will let us swing so as to go at 5 in the morning.

I have been reminded of the Panic about the safety of city of Washington — it is repeated here on the water talk. My cabin has been full all day of army QrMasters, Generals, and Steamer Captains. It is now ascertained the Ocean Queen can make 15,000 Galls a day, and the Vanderbilt 25,000! So the enemy has retired or is outnumbered for a time anyhow. Vandalia is off with the coal ships.

Between ourselves old Wool is an old goose and not at all fit to be here.

I made the Midship here and one on the Vandalia Masters because their juniors had appointments, and a master's mate was promoted over the one in the Vandalia. I felt sure you would approve under the circumstances and they are very grateful.

Long and deep pouring over of charts. I think the Genl feels anxious at the amount of men the rebels can throw by rail to B. S. is impatient and frets when his QrMasters have doleful reports to make, but I am more and more impressed by his evident military knowledge and spirit.

In haste
Faithfully       
S. F. Dupont
Hon. G. V. Fox
Ass. Secretary

SOURCE: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 61-2

No comments: