Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Braxton Bragg, 1856

Thibodaux, Louisiana, 1856]

* * * The History of the American Flag in Mexico, is particularly interesting to us who know the right and dare maintain it. The attempt to make glory by and for a man who passed through the war without being under fire, except by accident, was fully appreciated in the army when first made on the floor of the Senate. It then failed by a timely exposure. This second effort is still more ignoble and fortunately for the truth of history, Gov'r Brown has enlightened the country and deserves the thanks of all lovers of truth, though entirely unknown to me I shall ever esteem him for it. Though I have abandoned my old profession under a pressure of outward circumstances which I resisted until disgusted and worn down, I have not lost my professional pride and sympathy. Finding, however, that my command was destroyed, my usefulness gone and the department resolutely bent on substituting long range rifles 'for light artillery, though nominally keeping it up at a heavy expense, I concluded to retire from the unequal contest. The finest battery I ever saw was destroyed in two years at the cost of $100,000. Our latest view is quite interesting. Nicaragua recognized, Mr. Compton dismissed and old Sumner severely criticized for his impertinence. You can reach the sensibilities of such dogs only through their heads and a big stick. The place was probably injudiciously chosen ; but the balance was well, and were I in the House I should certainly propose a vote of thanks to Mr. Brooks. We shall look in a few days with great interest to the action of our convention. Whoever may be nominated will be surely elected; but we want a man of the age. The time has passed when old fogies or antiquarians can rule the spirit of the age. I see no mention of my friend Davis now; can it be that you have taken the wind out of his sails? He could drive me from the army but not from my party.

SOURCE: Don Carlos Seitz, Braxton Bragg, General of the Confederacy, p. 17

No comments: