Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Captain Percival Drayton to Flag Officer Samuel F. Dupont, July 2, 1862

U.S.S. Pawnee     
Stono July 2" 1862 
My dear Commodore

Rodgers will tell you my opinions and feelings better than I can in a letter, my disgust at this wretched evacuation, is more than I like to express, although I have done so pretty freely, to think of the work, transportation, loss of life and worry of the last month, being all wasted for no earthly reason, perhaps a mere pet, or the desire for a quiet summer, on the part of the Comdg. General. 

It seems almost like a joke, but I really can see no reason why Fernandina and Pulaski should not be next, if mere convenience and concentration is to carry everything before it and blind judgment to rule, anything may be done. I for one do not believe that Charleston can be taken except through James Island, and trust that the rebellion cannot end until its cradle is in our possession. This being the case, you may suppose that I am a little disappointed, when we were on the high road to obtain this object, at our all of a sudden withdrawing without any earthly reason, that we can at least here perceive, for the position occupied by our troops might have been in a few days more almost impregnable, against any means likely to be brought against it, when we might have waited quietly until men could have been spared for an advance, at any rate it would have prevented the withdrawal of troops from Charleston to Richmond, which will now very likely take place, judging from remarks in Charleston papers. I should judge that unless continued misfortunes make cowards of them an attempt will be made to reoccupy this river, which if entered on seriously I am satisfied no naval force can long prevent. I certainly think however that it is worth keeping the door open for a return a little while, although I begin to doubt whether it will be taken advantage of. I think the war is still too much of a means in the hands of politicians and contractors, for real serious work being entered on, such as that at the South. Almost the only real earnestness yet beyond a few soldiers and sailors, seems to be with the people supposed a short time since conquered by us. 

Very truly yours 
P. DRAYTON 
Flag Officer S. F. DuPont
    Wabash
        Port Royal

SOURCE: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 136-7

No comments: