Saturday, May 1, 2021

Diary of Gideon Welles: Monday, October 10, 1864

Advised with the President in regard to a proceeding of the late Colonel Harris, who offered a bounty, or directed the recruiting officer to promise a bounty, of $100 to each marine who should enlist. It came to my knowledge in July, 1863, and I prohibited it, because it would create dissatisfaction with the sailors. The legal point I did not examine, but I was opposed to it as impolitic and inexpedient. In reply to my inquiries as to when he commenced giving this bounty, he said in June, and I supposed it was the preceding June and therefore covered but one month, the bounty to be paid after two years service. But I now learn it commenced in June, 1862, and consequently covers thirteen, instead of one month, and that there are over eleven hundred so enlisted. I decided they must be discharged or paid the bounty, and as there was a question as to the legality of the bounty, I thought it best, so long as I supposed there was only one month's enlistment, to discharge, but when I ascertained it was for more than a year and embraced over eleven hundred, I thought best to reëxamine the whole subject with the President. He concurs with me and decides it is best to pay the bounty.

SOURCE: Gideon Welles, Diary of Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy Under Lincoln and Johnson, Vol. 2: April 1, 1864 — December 31, 1866, p. 174


No comments: