Friday, January 14, 2022

Major-General William T. Sherman to Major-General Ulysses S. Grant, July 1, 1863

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE TENNESSEE,
July 1, 1863.

GENERAL: I am just in from a circuit. All is absolutely silent along Big Black River.

One of your best scouts, Tuttle, is just in from Bolton, where I sent him to see if he could learn if any part of Johnston's army had passed south of the railroad; especially to watch the course of army wagons. He could see or hear nothing to show that a movement south was in progress. I will send him out to Auburn to-night.

Osterhaus watches Baldwin's and Hall's Ferries.

It might be well to send a small force to the red church, between Warrenton and Hankinson's, to make a show. My troops are in such a position that they could reach Noland or Whitaker in five hours. Big Bayou should be made impassable.

I am at one bridge, as high up as possible, shortening the neck between it and the branch (see your map), and I have a good road to run between the railroad, via Tiffin, Bovina, and Noland. I think Johnston may feint to the south, but do not think he will risk chances in the pocket of Black River. Still, we must watch him close. I will have a scout out on an old road from Rocky Springs and Auburn, and can tell quickly if anything is afloat.

Everybody still reports a few rebel force at Mechanicsburg, Vernon, Brownsville, and Bolton. Militia collecting at Jackson. Johnston vibrating between Jackson and Canton.

All well.
SHERMAN,        
Major-General.
General GRANT.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 2 (Serial No. 37), p. 248-9

No comments: