Thursday, February 24, 2022

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Major-General William T. Sherman, July 3, 1863

NEAR VICKSBURG, July 3, 1863.
Major-General SHERMAN:

Pemberton wants conditions to march out paroled, &c. The conditions wanted are such as I cannot give; I am to submit my propositions at 10 o'clock to-night. I have directed Steele and Ord to be in readiness to move, as you suggested, the moment Vicksburg is surrendered. I want Johnston broken up as effectually as possible, and roads destroyed. I cannot say where you will find the most effective place to strike; I would say move so as to strike Canton and Jackson, whichever might seem most desirable.

U.S. GRANT.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 3 (Serial No. 38), p. 460

No comments: