Thursday, February 24, 2022

Major-General William T. Sherman to Major-General Ulysses S. Grant, July 3, 1863

PARKE'S, July 3, 1863.
General GRANT:

I am this moment in, and have your dispatch. Telegraph me the moment you have Vicksburg in possession, and I will secure all the crossings of Black River, and move on Jackson or Canton, as you may advise. I want my own corps and Ord's, with Parke in reserve; train small; all of which will be arranged [when] I know for certain that you fire in absolute possession. If you are in Vicksburg, glory, hallelujah! the best Fourth of July since 1776. Of course we must not rest idle, only don't let us brag too soon. I will order my troops at once to occupy the fords of the Big Black, and await with anxiety your further answer.

W. T. SHERMAN.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 3 (Serial No. 38), p. 461

No comments: